Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing Parameter formulae

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixtoesofdean

Programmer
Nov 6, 2002
GB
Hi

I'm working with a report that embeds a subreport. It would appear that some action of mine has caused two unwanted parameter fields to be added to the sub report. This sort of makes sense to me because I was trying to link up the sub-report parameter formulae with data from the main report. However, I'v added the wrong fields.

So I've deleted them from the Record Selection Formula editor. Trouble is, Crystal doesn't want to forget about them, insisting that I'm referencing them elsewhere in the report. However, I'm not!! (If I export the report to a crystal report definition, the offending fields are mentioned no where in it).

The situation is that I have two fields in the fields editor that I seemingly can't delete. What can I do ?

Did you try looking for these 2 fields in the report definition? Also are these fields in the main report or subreport? Have you tried deleting the parameters from the field explorer?

Kchaudhry

thanks for the reply.

- I've searched through the report def, but there is no mention of the fields.

- If I try and delete them from the field explorer I get a message saying this can't be done becaue the fields are used elsewhere in the report. (I've also tried refreshing it too)

At present I'm just working with the sub-report on its own. However, I don't need these fields in the main report either; I put another post in the data access crystal forum relating to not being able to specify an outer join on a table (view) I added to an existing report - i.e. this sub report's parent. Whether this is relevent or not I don't yet know).

Forgot to mention that I'm using Crystal 8.5 which is running the lates SP (so far as I know).

Thanks for your time anyhow.

Ok then you must be referencing these two fields in one of your formulas. Check you formulas and you should be able to find them.

Good Luck!

Kchaudhry

Hmmmmmm. Rebooted. Now seems to work. I am less than happy when that happens. I thought the days of "reboot and try again" were almost over. Ah well. Almost.

However, being more constructive I've found out why the fields got added in the first place:

I have an existing report
I've embedded a sub report into it
I've tried to setup subreport links:
- This has gone wrong because I've already got two param
formulae set up, however Crystal doesn't let me choose
them
Not related to this forum:
- I now get an error message when previewing the report:
"Not supported". (Not helpful!!!)

After this exercise I see the two unwanted fields are the ones that Crystal created. So I guess I delete the existing params in there and see where that gets me....

Are there any rules or gotcha's I should watch out for when embedding sub reports?

Have you checked [Subreport Links] under [Edit] on the menu?

Madawc Williams
East Anglia, Great Britain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back