Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing paragraph marks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elanus2

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2001
AU
I frequently copy and paste some text into a Word document that has lines that do not fill the width of the page because they are terminated by paragraph marks (or are they CR/LFs?).

Is there a simple way to remove these paragraph marks and allow Word to determine the length of lines?

Yep,

Do a search and replace (Ctrl H) and search for ^p and replace with nothing.

hope that's what you are looking for

Dave

Thanks Dave, that's exactly what I needed. I presume from your reply that there are codes for all the document characters. Where do I find the rest?

When you do a searach or replace there should be a "More" button. If you click on that the window will reveal more options. If you click on the "Special" button it will list the different characters you can search for.

cheers

Dave

If you want paragraphs to space properly, search and replace all back-to-back ^p, replace them with someother unique charachter or use what I do three forward slashes ///. Then replace all single ^p, do another search and replace, replace the 3 slashes with a single paragraph marker. Also, instead of replace with nothing, replace with a space, or some of your words will be stuck together.

Don't forget, ^l (lowercase L) is the manual line break - those annoying left-pointing arrows so common when you copy from an e-mail message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back