Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing Outlook Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashpp

IS-IT--Management
Sep 28, 2002
GB
Hi,

Whats the simplest way of removing OE (or access to it) on a all Windows 2000 clients.

Thanks

Ash.

If there on a domain a GPO would be the best way. Go to the OU or group you want to apply it to, then edit group policys make a new policy, lets say No outlook. Then you get the normal gpo screen go to computer config, select admin templates, system. One of the options should be dont run specified windows apps. Click on it and edit as needed. Apply it to the OU and your done. But, if your not on a domain then you can still use gpedit on the local mach, but you will have to touch each one.

Can't find reference to disabling OE in local policy editor (may be blind of course). M$ introduced ability to hide icons for OE, IE & Media Player in SP3 - probably not much use to you but
(suppose you could just remove the \program files\outlook express folder from each machine!)

You can uninstall Outlook Express from each machine.

In the WinNT/inf folder, find sysoc.inf file. Make a backup of the file. Edit it in notepad and remove all the "hide" in each line. Make sure to grab the comma and extra spaces as well. Save the file.

Go to Control Panel|Add Remove Programs. Click on Add/Remove Windows components. OE will show up there now to remove.

--Scott

Wolluf, there is no disable OE in local policy editor. But, in the group policy editer (do a search on your drive for gpedit beleave in winnt system32) you can specify which programs to run or not in the area I explaned above. Once you have a policy you can replicate to all machines via floppy or if your lucky and on a domain via the network by applying it to a group.

Ooops I should of said they were on a Windows 2000 domain.

Thanks for everybodies suggestions, I'll stick OE in the "dont run apps" area in the GPO.

Has anybody else noticed running roaming profiles (standard not mandatory) that OE shortcuts do like to reappear in the toolbar and desktop. No matter how many times you delete the sods!

Thanks

Ash.

AshleyPride - 'Has anybody else noticed running roaming profiles (standard not mandatory) that OE shortcuts do like to reappear in the toolbar and desktop. No matter how many times you delete the sods!'

YES - also in mandatory ones (creates shortcut in programs on local machine - XP in this case - every time user logs on - NT rather than 2k server here).

Wirdo
I was using gpedit - but on Pro not Server.

Wolluf - I was using gpedit - but on Pro not Server.

Should be on pro and server. But maybe misunderstood. There is no option that you can click and say no OE. You have to add it to the dont run list.

AshleyPride - 'Has anybody else noticed running roaming profiles (standard not mandatory) that OE shortcuts do like to reappear in the toolbar and desktop. No matter how many times you delete the sods!'

I think but not sure that if you disable it from runing you disable the icons as well. Either way they shouldnt be able to run it.

I thought I remember reading that OE was necessary if you were going to use OL? Forget where I read it exactly or what the details were, but I saw a bunch of articles stating it was necessary for using Outlook. If it's removed Outlook will not function, I guess it shares some components. i dont' know. If anyone else has any feed back on that, I'd love to hear it.

One thing I know is that Outlook XP doesn't have a newsreader without OE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back