Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing or bypassing dual boot O/S option? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

varienne

Technical User
Dec 6, 2004
US
I've made the mistake of installing Win2k more than once so I get the option of which to start at boot up.

My questions
Is there a way to safely remove the installs that are not being used, without having to reformat and start from scratch?

The goals here are to have just one O/S, not multiple so it just boots up without the 30 sec wait. It would also be nice to be able to 'reclaim' the wasted drive space these other installs are taking up.

Also on one PC there is a MS DOS choice, not sure why. Can I also remove this?

Varienne

A quick way to avoid the 30 second wait is to change the settings. In system properties goto Startup and recovery. Here you can choose which of your OS to boot to. Also if you untick the Display list of OS for xx seconds, then the list will not appear.

DO YOU KNOW WHICH FOLDERS CONTAIN THE TWO INSTALLATIONS.IF YOU KNOW FOR SURE YOU MAY DELETE ONE OF THE INSTALLATION FOLDER.BUT MAKE SURE YOU ARE 100%.IF YOU DON'T THEN DON'T DELETE ANY FOLDER.TO BY PASS ONE INSTALLATION YOU HAVE TO EDIT YOUR BOOT.INI FILE.FIRST YOU MAKE A BACK UP COPY OF THE ORIGINAL BOOT.INI FILE AND SAVE IT SOME WHERE THAT YOU CAN ACCESS.OPEN THE BOOT.INI FILE AND DELETE ON ENTRY.BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU DELETING.ONLY ONE ENTRY HAS TO BE DELETED.SAVE THE EDITED FILE.REBOOT.YOU SHOULD SEE ONLY ONE OS OPTION.AGAIN IF YOU ARE NOT SURE WHAT YOU ARE DONING DO NOT PROCCED.

Thanks, I'll give that a try and even if it 'breaks' not mission critical. What I've done is built up a 'home network' for testing and troubleshooting hardware and software etc and this is one of 3 test PCs and not the primary. Worse case I'll just reformat, reinstall win2k and start from scratch. I burned a CD with all the updated drivers so it's fairly simple and straight forward now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back