Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

removing network from used laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwat

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2001
US
I purchased a company laptop in a firesale before it shut down. It's an HP Omnibook with Windows 2000 and it was part of the corporate network.

When I boot up, the only way I can get into the system is to login to the old (no longer existent network). I would like to sever all connections to that network.

In addition, I have the laptop hooked up to a NETGEAR RT314 to share a DSL with my other desktop machine. That is working fine, but I'm having problems configuring the lan for shared printers and files.

Question is:

1) What steps to I need to take to remove all references to my old work network. And how do I do that and still be able to login to my laptop?

2) Any tips on setting up a little home network for file sharing and print sharing using RT314?

To remove yourself from network devices: 1) Unmap Network Drives (R-click "My Network Places"), 2) Remove unused printing devices from Settings/Printers, 3) Change from Domain to Workgroup (R-click "My Network Places" => Properties => Advanced Tab => Network Identification) 4. Make sure to Create new user in User & Passwords (if you don't know the admin password).

butchrecon has posted a very indepth FAQ about basic networking, this should answer your 2nd question.

Best of Luck. -md

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back