Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

removing 'Mr' from cell containing 'Mr Robert' 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenfibres

IS-IT--Management
Mar 17, 2006
GB
Hello
I have an Access table with separate fields for Title Firstname and Surname.
Unfortunately many of the Firstname cells include a Title, so the Title is empty and the Firstname reads Mr Robert and the Surname reads Burns.
How can I remove the Mr from the Firstname and place it in the Title?

I hope there's a simple solution out there!
All the best
Jim

Are they all Mr or are some Mr.?

Are there others: Ms, Ms., Mrs and Mrs.? What about Dr.?

Is there always a space between the end of the title and the beginning of the firstname?

I would start with a SELECT query to see if I'm getting all the right data:

Code:
SELECT Left(NameField, inStr(NameField, " ")) As Title, Right(inStr(NameField, " ") + 1, NameField) As JustName, NameField As OriginalField FROM tableName

If that looks good then:

Code:
UPDATE TableName SET Title = Left(NameField, inStr(NameField, " ")), NameField = Left(inStr(NameField, " ") + 1, NameField)

be sure to make a backup before running ANY update query!

Good luck

Leslie

Anything worth doing is a lot more difficult than it's worth - Unknown Induhvidual

Essential reading for database developers:
The Fundamentals of Relational Database Design
Understanding SQL Joins

Hi leslie
Thanks for the reply
1. I tried the select query but the JustName field comes out as an error.

Also the Title field will take the first initial from a multiple initial name like J R Hartley, so I ended up using the Where function

This is the code I finished up with, but as I said, the JustName field comes out as an error

Almost there!!

Thanks,
Jim

PS. I really am a beginner with this stuff, so if I've made a glaring error translating your advice, please show me!

SELECT Left([ContactFirstName],InStr([ContactFirstName]," ")) AS Title, Right(InStr([ContactFirstName]," ")+1,[ContactFirstName]) AS JustName, Customers.ContactFirstName AS OriginalField
FROM Customers
WHERE (((Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "miss *" Or (Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "ms *" Or (Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "ms. *" Or (Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "mrs *" Or (Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "mrs.*" Or (Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "mr *" Or (Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "mr. *" Or (Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "dr *" Or (Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "dr. *" Or (Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "prof *" Or (Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "prof. *"))
ORDER BY Customers.ContactFirstName;

Some misuses of the function.
Try this:
SELECT Left([ContactFirstName],InStr([ContactFirstName]," ")-1) AS Title, Mid([ContactFirstName],InStr([ContactFirstName]," ")+1) AS JustName
FROM ...

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Hi PH
Unfortunately I just get the message
'The SELECT statement includes a reserved word or an argument name that is misspelled or missing, or the punctuation is incorrect.'

Can you check that again?
Thanks
Jim

What is YOUR actual SQL code ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Hi PH

Here's the code

SELECT Left([ContactFirstName],InStr([ContactFirstName]," ")-1) AS Title, Mid([ContactFirstName],InStr([ContactFirstName]," ")+1) AS JustName FROM Customers WHERE (((Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "miss *" Or (Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "ms *" Or (Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "ms. *" Or (Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "mrs *" Or (Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "mrs.*" Or (Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "mr *" Or (Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "mr. *" Or (Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "dr *" Or (Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "dr. *" Or (Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "prof *" Or (Customers.ContactFirstName) Like "prof. *"))
ORDER BY Customers.ContactFirstName;

Hello again

Strangely, when I go back to the query as suggested by Leslie, and then cut and paste PH's suggestion in, it works! :)
Thanks PH.

The only thing to fix is when in the ContactFirstName the only entry is Mr. or Mrs. and nothing else - then I get an error in the Title field.

Here's the code

SELECT Left([ContactFirstName],InStr([ContactFirstName]," ")-1) AS Title, Mid([ContactFirstName],InStr([ContactFirstName]," ")+1) AS JustName
FROM Customers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back