Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing mail from mailboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumbus

IS-IT--Management
Mar 3, 2006
US
Within a 2000 Exchange server environment, how can I remove mail items (87,000/1.7 Gigs)from a mailbox. I would be doing this from inside the exchange server.

You can use exmerge, one of it's many benefits.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

If you want to remove everything form a mailbox, why not just delete the mailbox & recreate it?

Otherwise, Exmerge is the best method, as mentioned.

How to configure an account to use the ExMerge utility in Exchange 2000 Server and in Exchange Server 2003

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Thank you 58sniper,

Deleting the mailbox was an option I was considering. I wasn't sure if that was safe considering its our Postmaster mailbox. However, I think that is the most efficient way to handle this issue. If its as simple as a recreation, I am going for it. Any last tips before I begin?

Depends on whether you'll need to ever see what was in the mailbox before it was wiped. Exmerge would be better, as you can have it archive the mail from the mailbox to the .pst. You end up with a .pst file for safe keeping, and an empty mailbox.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Thank you 58sniper,

There are no concerns for the contents. It seems to be full of advertisement, bounced back email,and email going to accounts that no longer exist. Thank you again.

You can use Mailbox Manager on Exchange to automatically remove the content from that mailbox in the future if you want. That way you don't have to worry about policing it, especially if you're interested in the content.

I use it for my spam filter mailbox and it works great.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back