Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimble

Technical User
Aug 23, 2001
US
I am in the process of moving my companies email from our ISP's mail server to our own. My ISP has been very difficult in explaining the steps to this process. Can someone please tell me how far off I am

First I set up our Exchange Server with all the appropriate user/mailboxes.
Then I will setup a static IP with the ISP
Finally I'll ask them to change the MX record to point to the new IP address.

They won't go forward with this until they check our setup and want to confirm our server is setup correctly.

Is this the normal process?

That is part of it, but you will need to install the IMC (Internet Mail Connector) and set it up with any restriction & connection specfic information, and add in the routing for your inbound domain name. You did not indicate which version of Exchange you are running, but the procedures will be similar regardless.

I suggest reviewing the Exchange documentation on the above items, and in particular the IMC setup. Get back to the group with any specfic questions you come across.

Best of Luck! Chad Stiller, MCSE
Ramcom Technology
cds@ramcom.com

I'm using Exchange 2000 in a Small Business Server Package.
Thanks

Point MX records for your domain to the ip of server.
This is it really. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back