Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing icons from All Users group 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pxb006

Technical User
Feb 13, 2001
US
Any one have any ideas how to remove an icon from the All Users desktop folder? There is an icon on all users desktops that needs to be removed, but you must have administrator rights to remove it. Since I support over 500 users, logging on as Administrator on each machine is not really an option. I've tried creating a .bat file using CACLS but have been unsuccessful. Any help would be appreciated.

If the stations are also Windows 2000, you can use the runas command.

Otherwise - maybe script a file to map 20 drives at a time from your machine, and manually browse to the folder to delete it?

For instance:

net use /PERSISTENT:no F: "\\computername\c$\Documents and settings\All Users\Desktop"

you can use all your available drive letters ..up to Z:

Then, in a batch file:
del F:\filename.ext
del G:\Filename.ext

etc..

There must be an easier way, but at least you dont have to install other software, or logon locally to each machine. Doing 20 or so at a time wouldn't take very long if it was scripted. If not, you can manually map each drive as well..

Good luck
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

I think the easiest way would be to export a list of machine names and use something like Access to assemble a batch file to run that looks something like:

del \\machname1\c$\winnt...\filetobedeleted >> c:\errlog.txt
del \\machname2\c$\winnt...\filetobedeleted >> c:\errlog.txt
del \\machname3\c$\winnt...\filetobedeleted >> c:\errlog.txt

Include appropriate switches to keep it silent. You could then run it from a machine that you are logged in on as a domain admin and you should be good to go. You can use the errlog.txt to find the ones that weren't on, etc.

If you were going to use the solution suggeste by mcconmw I would use Excel rather than Access

Thanks alot! I chose to use mcconmw's suggestion and it worked great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back