Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing former employees from Global Address list 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

despierto

Programmer
Jun 25, 2004
US
We have several former employees of my company, and currently the policy has been to keep their login account on the system, but change the password and disable the login.

The problem with this is that the terminated employee shows up in the GAL when you are using outlook. I tried making a security group called "Previous Employees" and attaching the employees to that group (and only that group). Then I tried to create a filter that would show all exchange mailboxes that weren't that group, but I could not get it to work right. I only get other groups.

How can I go about creating a list that includes everyone BUT this group? Also, is there any way of actually typing in a query by hand? I can only seem to do this through the GUI, which is pretty bad.

Try GAL Hider. It's a quick and dirty way to hide unwanted names from the GAL. Will save you a load of time if you have several names to remove.

Well- I have to admit I take the low tech approach. We just check the Hide from Exchange lists in the Advanced Exchange settings on the account which removes it from the GAL.

Thanks to both! The GAL Hider will come in handy when I get to the point of scripting my new and removed users, but in the meantime, that checkbox was exactly what I was looking for, but just couldn't find.

There is no need for a third party product, as that's what the check box was designed to do. Why spend money on a product that blatantly says it does the same thing (and I find it somewhat amusing that it's available from dummysoftware.com)?

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back