Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing favorites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dickeyboy

Instructor
Dec 16, 2002
US
I've read all of the strings. All say right click on the favorite and delete it. Well, no matter how many times you say....it still doesn't work. I'm running XP Home and no matter how many times you right click, you aren't given any choices. Any other thoughts??????????

Click on Favorites in Internet Explorer. At the top of the Favorites window will be button titled"Organize" Click on it and a pop up box will appear that will let you delete favorites, move, etc.
Good luck.

Use Windows Explorer. The Favorites folder is located in c:\Documents and Settings\username\Favorites. You can delete the contents just like any other file.

Note: You can also create new folders in Explorer, and drag and drop your favorites to organize them better.

>>Note: You can also create new folders in Explorer, and drag and drop your favorites to organize them better <<

I have been doing that; creating new folders to place alike or similar favorites in a named folder. That makes a long listing of favorites more managable instead of scrolling forever to find a favorite and half the time you miss it.

Well and good. But none of that works. Oranize gives me nothing. And c:\Documents and Settings\username\Favorites doesn't work. What's left?? I'm at 150 and counting. Help!

When you say it does not work, I am not sure what you mean. I logon with Bill Castner. I open Windows Explorer (not IE) and expand the listing for my C: drive.

I expand Documents and Settings.
I expand Bill Castner
I click Favorites, and see a listing of all the shortcuts.

I can right-click and delete them, right-click and remove them, right-click New and create a new folder and drag and drop the existing Favorite shortcuts to the New folder.

What error do you get if try to remove entries from Windows Explorer?

Thanks bcastner. However, following your instructions I opened Windows Explorer, not IE, and did as you said. I did not see a listing of all of my shortcuts, just 10. And not the ten I wanted to delete. Windows 2000, all you had to do was right click on the link and delete it. Why is XP so difficult. I know........&quot;Go to Microsoft!&quot;

Look in the Default User\Favorites and All Users\Favorites.

If IE sees these links they are coming from a Favorites folder.

Try this folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Favorites

This contains favorites that will appear for every user on the machine

Thanks anyway. Nothing works. Guess I'll just have to live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back