Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing Dual Boot from a WIN98Se / WIN2K System 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbacchus

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2001
US
Hi:

I've installed WIN2K on my D drive with WIN98SE resident on the C Drive. Now that I have validated that WIN2K is functioning properly I would like to remove WIN 98SE from my C Drive. There are NO files on by C Drive which I need. I've back-up everything and can easily re-installing it after I remove WIN98Se from C.

My question is "how you I remove Windows 98 safety without having any affects on the installed Win2K ?". Can I reformat Drive C. Is there a utility to create an NTFS formatted Drive ? I would like the C Drive to be an NTFS drive. Thanks in advance.

frank

Frank M. Bacchus, apc
Informations and Telecommunications Leader

I have the same question that fbacchus has re: dual systems in win2kpro. how do you delete one?

Watch out for needed files on the boot partition - BOOT.INI , NTDETECT.COM, NTLDR (hope I have not missed any, - someone please correct me if I have).
Delete all the other junk on C.
If you are worrried about editing BOOT.INI - you don't need to.
rt click my computer (in win 2000)
Choose properties/advanced/startup and recovery/ and leave win 2000 as the default operating system, untick 'show a list of operating systems' click OK -
no more boot options.
Now go the whole hog and get rid of that horrid FAT/32 partition on C by typing this at a command prompt:
convert C: /fs:ntfs
Now you have no more win9x and a C drive formatted with lovely NTFS ready for your data.
Sadly you will still need that C drive to boot up.
I hope that helps.

---------------------------------------
save a life - visit:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back