Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing/Disabling the Programs menu in W2K?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfaffer

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
CA
Is there a way to hide the Programs menu in the Start menu in Windows 2000?
If this is not possible, is there a way to disable Windows Explorer from opening if you double click on the Programs menu?

Thanks.

Can you explain what you're trying to do (sounds like trying to stop someone using anything, but presumably its a bit less extreme than that!)

I work in a call center, and on the computers that the callers use, I want to prevent access to anything other than what they are allowed to use. This will eliminate them from getting into where they are not supposed to be.

There are no programs in the program menu, and I have set up in mmc to remove any unnecessary items from the start menu.

All that is listed on the start menu currently is:
Log off
Programs (with no programs)
Calculator shortcut
And the only program that they use.

I want to remove the program menu, since if you double click on it, a Windows explorer window opens. If there is no way to remove the programs menu, then a way to disable the Explorer window from opening after double clicking on the Programs menu would suffice.

Any suggestions?

If this is a domain setup, you should be able to disable the use of explorer for specified users using policies. You'd need to disable explorer use (assuming they don't need it for anything else) as there are other ways of starting an explorer window (eg, Window key+E).

To do this, you are going to have to configure Group Policy. This is usually done on the server with active directory,but if you arent using server, follow these steps to add group policy locally(be sure to be an administrator AND domain admin before you start)

Goto Start>Run
Type in MMC, click OK
Click CONSOLE at the top, Choose ADD/REMOVE SNAP-IN
Click ADD at the bottom
Choose GROUP POLICY from the list, and click ADD
Click FINISH.
Be sure to save the console (go back to CONSOLE at the top,and click SAVE AS, call it GROUP POLICY)

For more information on Group Policy, see support.microsoft.com and search for GROUP POLICY.

The only thing you have to know is how to find the answer.

If it weren't for users, computers would work just fine....If computers worked I'd be unemployed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back