Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

removing and replacing a raid 5 disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybunter

Technical User
Oct 7, 2004
GB

Hi Can anyone help

Our software raid 5 disk array was spanned across 4 disks which was for data. The first two disks Disks 0 and 1 had a mirrored 10GB boot volume on. There was a problem with disk 0 so I replaced it and rebuilt the array over the 4 disks, the problem is that I rebuilt the raid 5 data volume first before rebuilding the boot mirror and after the raid 5 rebuilt I couldnt mirror the boot volume which now only exists on disk 1. Ive been told this is because the boot mirror needs to be the first volume on disks 0 and 1 and rebuilt first. The short of it is my drives are hot swapable so can I just pull disk 0 out so that the raid 5 is broken and then put this disk back in, mirror the boot partiton first and then rebuild the raid 5, or when I put the disk back in will it see it already has some thing on it and not let me rebuild the mirror and the raid 5.

Sorry if this is abit confussing but I am not very good with raid. Many thanks

THIS IS EASY, JUST PULL IT BACK OUT. PUT IT ON ANOTHER SYSTEM. WIPE THE PARTITIONS. STICK IT BACK IN, DO THE MIRROR, THEN DO THE RAID 5.

OR IF YOU DONT HAVE ANOTHER SYSTEM TO WIPE IT OUT ON, ITS A SOFTWARE RAID, SO JUST GO INTO THE SCSI CARD UTILITY AND FORMAT TAHT DISK, WHICH THIS WOULD OBVIOUSLY HAVE TO BE DONE AFTER HOURS.

Thanks

I havnt got a scsi card utility ive just realised its sata raid any ideas what will happen if I pull the disk out for a minute or so and then put it back in would it not give me the option to wipe the partition or would it realise it is part of the raid 5 array and start to rebuild its self? I havn't got another system to put it on any ideas?

Thanks alot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back