Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing and entry from the Add & Remove Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfincati

Technical User
Dec 15, 2000
US
I am running XP Home. I have a program listed in the "Add or Remove Programs" and when I attempt to remove the program I get an error message that "An installation support file could not be installed and that the system could not find the file specified".

I have removed all files, folders, etc, from the hard drive for the program and would like to delete it from the list in the Add or Remove Programs. How can I do this?
Tx

GF

Run Regedit and find the folder containing the program in question and delete it in the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

EIDTING THE REGISTRY MAY CAUSE SERIUOS PROBLEMS, DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Thanks for the information. I tried fooling around with the registry, but got nervous. Someone then put me to this link for a small removal utility and it worked great.

Try ADD/REMOVE PRO its free and works good, I use it more then the one in the control panel. At the link proceed to Freeware on the side panel.

Thanks for everything

GF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back