Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing a stuck cable inside a wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

linuxway

IS-IT--Management
Sep 24, 2001
US
We are trying to bring cabling up from inside a wall. There is apparently a real jam where the wires come through one of the cross 2x4's. Any ideas on how to brute force this cable up, or other ideas will be appreciated.

Joe Alvarez

I would NOT suggest using brute force, although I can appreciate that you might feel like using this method! This may well result in damaged or broken wires and cause you even more grief later on.

I presume that there is a pre-drilled hole through the 2x4. Do you KNOW for sure that it's big enough? How many cables are you trying to take through this hole, and are there any through already? If you have one cable through already, then maybe you can "sacrifice" this one as a draw string to pull the others through even if it means pulling yet another one to replace that original. Maybe try attaching a draw wire to a cable that is already in place and pull it back the other way - maybe this would avoid the "tackle" of cables you reckon you've got.

Failing that, maybe get the maintenance guys to cut a small section of wall away close to the obstruction, and make a neat inspection panel.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Linuxway;

This situation comes up from time to time, and while you learn more and better cable techniques to solve these problems, there is one thing that can ease the frustration: know that it is not your fault and that you are not accountable for the unknown and unexpected--you don't have x-ray vision to see inside the wall before you agree to do the work.

I really try to have agreements (in writing, on the back of my work order forms) that mean you will be paid for your hours and are not responsible for conditions you could not possibly anticipate.

This is a BID versus Time-and-Materials debate. For some trades, like electrical work, things are more predictable. Telecom cabling, however, is definitely NOT predictable. If the client insists on a Not-to-Exceed quotation, I become very cautious that he may know of some hidden problem and wants to take advantage of the fact that I don't.

Clients (or employers) who have money, not quality and honest effort, as their main guideline, could rightly be approached with great caution.

Yours,
Mike

It sounds like you have horizontal studs in your wall. You can buy a long flexible drill bit and guide that is made to penetrate these studs and aid in pulling the cable through the hole. Check Graybar or other tool suppliers.

Keith M. Wolcott, RCDD

Home Depot, Lowes and Graybar sell what is called a "diversa-bit". It comes in lengths from 2 to 3 feet with extensions.It has a hole in the bit to help pull the wires through too. It can also be steered with experience. The primary concern is drilling into cables already in the wall.

Keep in mind that the cable is not designed to handle any more than 25 pounds of brute pulling force. Any more can result in damaging the inner cable insulation, streching the 1/2" twists in the wires, or even breaking the individual cable wires.

I have used a small version of a metal detector that works like a stud finder to find cables in the wall. You can use such a device to determine exactly where the cables are bunched up before cutting holes everywhere in the wall (a lot of pictures to hang later if you don't find it on the first try).

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back