Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing a Duplicate Win2k Installation on Multi-boot System With W98

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoMax

Technical User
Aug 7, 2002
US
[morning]
I had a dual boot system with 98 on the C: partition and 2K on the D: (actually 2 separate drives). While trying to manually uninstall some Norton stuff, I hosed the registry on the 2K a bit.

Next I tried reinstalling the 2K, but made the mistake of doing it while logged into 2K (I have the \i386 install files on the hard drive). What happened is that I ended up with a fresh extra 2K system on C:\ (2K and 98se on C: and the original 2K on D: drive). The multi-boot menu had all three selections. Also my registry problem apparently was cured. I could boot to all three systems no problem.

So I removed the new W2000 system by deleting the \winnt and \documents and settings directories, and editing the boot.ini file to remove reference to the new system on partition 0.

Problem is that when the machine boots, there is now still a third system to select, called "Default" something or other, so I have to select the Windows 2000 Pro system manually. I can also boot to 98 OK. I didn't think to try that third selection(it was late last night at home, I'm at work now. Anyone know what's going on with this "default" selection, and how to get back to my original two selections?

There should be a copy of your old "boot.ini" on your c-drive...but if not...here's mine....you can edit yours to match the os/drive letters that fit your situation.

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98 SE"

This boots 2k for me as default and sets 98SE as my second selection (which is actually on my spare HD).

[thumbsup2]
PROBLEM SOLVED (thanks also to TonyBose).

It was a simple error in the boot.ini where it should have read:
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\winnt
My file read:
Default=multi(0)disk(0)[red]rdisk(0)[/red]partition(1)\winnt

It was pointing to the deleted OS! After I corrected the error all was back to normal.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I play with my drives and partitions often, and have gone thru that problem after putting a third 98SE on my second physical drive. Now I keep a copy of my Boot.ini as a text file so I can always go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back