Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing a DC from a 2K domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

PistolPete30

Technical User
Feb 28, 2002
GB
Hi

I've been running a W2k AD domain with 2 windows 2K servers - I now want to just run it off 1 server but although in a W2K AD domain all servers are supposed to be equal (No PDC and BDC) this doesn't seem to be the case.

For example, all DCs don't have a copy of the Global Catalogue by default - you have to specifically add it to the others. Is there a list of things such as this I can check off on the one remaining server?

Also, when you run DOMMON.EXE it lists one server as a PDC and one as a BDC.

Lastly, is there a way to change the master browser? I've tried the registry hack, changing the key IsDomainMaster to TRUE and this hasn't worked.

Rgds

Pete

Is the server you will have remaining the first one promoted to DC? IF not, you will need to transfer the FSMO roles to it, I don't remember anything about the Master Browser off the top of my head, but if you do a search of this site you should find your answers. I have seen this pop up frequently here....

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Thanks Matt - I changed all the roles and in doing do also sorted the master browser issue.

Thanks again

Pete

Hi, I'm also interested in removing my first DC, as it seems to have gone silly. We now have two other DCs, both GC servers, with DC2 being operations master for each of the 5 FSMO roles.

Do I need to do anything more before I format and rebuild the first DC now?

Thanks,
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back