Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removed my path_to_inst - ekkkk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

symonjester

Programmer
Jan 9, 2003
US
After getting some horrible advice, I blew away my path_to_inst file. Now my system won't boot - it continues to say something about not finding the path_to_inst file. Is there a command (such as boot -something) that will cause it to rebuild this?

Symonjester

Try this command:

OK> boot -as

It should go through reconfiguring the system and rebuilding the file from scratch.

Good luck.

or even:

boot -rsv

boot to single user mode, rebuild path_to_inst file and give detailed info whilst performing this.

ART

I actually ment:

boot -ar

but, for easy of observation, -arv can be entered. Also, accept defaults on all the questions and say yes to rebuild path_to_inst file.

Actually, this is what is concerning. I have done the whole "boot -arv" thing - but when I tell it to rebuild the path_to_inst, it simply tells me that it is using the default. When the system comes up, I can see a path_to_inst.old file. However, I am unable (reason: cannot create) a file called path_to_inst in this directory - as root.

sound familiar?

Something to try (not sure if it will find the cdrom)...

Boot from cdrom (boot -cdrom) and when you get to a window taht has the exit option, exit the install. In the console window create a directory called a (mkdir a) then mount root onto a (mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 a). Change directory to /a/etc ( cd /a/etc). Now try renaming your path_to_inst files. Your root disk device may be slightly different than c0t0d0s0.

One other question, Do you use DiskSuite(uses md, meta devices, in vfstab) to manage your disks?

Good Luck!!
Have a Great Day!! :)
~Sol
Sys Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back