Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove Win98 from Dual Boot Change Win2k to C:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2001
US
Here is the current setup:
Win98 - C: - 1st partition on HD
Win2k - F: - 2nd partition on HD

I want to delete the Win98 partition and reclaim it for Win2k and I can do this with Partition Magic 8 BUT...

drive F: then becomes drive C:

How do I handle this for Win2k ? Can it be done ? Are there any tools available to do this ? Any step by step lists on the internet ?

I haven't found anyone who has successfully done this so you all are about my last hope.

Thanks!

So , You want to have in the end :

Empty Drive C: - 1st partition on HD
Win2k F: - 2nd partition on HD

Is this correct ?
Mohamed Farid
Know Me No Pain , No Me Know Pain !!!

One thing to remember - your win2k boot sector is in the win98 partition (includes files boot.ini, ntdetect.com & ntldr). If you remove everthing else apart from these three files and edit boot.ini to remove the windows 98 boot menu entry you should be good to go (you will have 2 partitions, and 2k will still be on F:).

If you want one partition with 2k (on C:), then you need to backup and reinstall (IMHO - as any other options - will almost certainly cause more trouble).

PS. Make yourself a win2k boot floppy before you do anything else (copy boot.ini, ntdetect.com & ntldr to a newly formatted floppy). This will boot your 2k instalation if you accidentally remove/damage the boot sector.

No, I don't want a blank C: partition. Instead of C: & F: partitions on the HD I want only a C: partition with Win2k.

Thanks wolluf!

I do want a single partition with Win2k and I was afraid that reinstalling was really the only option. On this system that will be a MAJOR undertaking! Lots of hardware drivers, downloaded (paid for) software, and configuration issues.

If I must I must but I had to see if anyone knew of a way around it.

you can make it ..
You have first to make F: partition is your primary partition . This can be done by FDSIK by set the F: partition active , or u can make it by partition magic ..

and you have also to edit the boot.ini file in the C: root so that it point to the F: Partition ..
Then you have to backup the 3 files from the C: NTDETECT.COM , NTLDR , Boot.ini , and then copy them to the F: partition , [red] and keep the files on a floppy or something [/red]

delete them from C:

Now restart and u will be able to start Windows 2000 as the startup will start from the primary partition , then from windows 2000 , from computer management , storag , disk management , u can then delete the C: partition ,, and then change the letter of the F: partition to be C:

[red] But don't forget to edit the boot.ini file again to start from C: not from F: !! [/red] Mohamed Farid
Know Me No Pain , No Me Know Pain !!!

Yup. Im on netwalker's side. Use PM to reclaim your entire harddrive back after the move as the partitions will be "backwards"..ie - empty space in beginning of disk, and 2K taking up the rest. I'd think it might even be easier too..make F: primary and active, then delete c:
If you run into probs - run fixboot and fixmbr from the 2K setup, and you'll be good to go. Then use PM to resize & reclaim all the space for 2K (which will move it back down to the beginning of the HD) and it will become C: again.
pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Sorry - just want to add one more thing..
If it was me - i'd go with Wolluf and reinstall :) Skip all that PM stuff, and redo it all nice & clean from the get go. pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back