Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove white background or change to another colour! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankles

Technical User
Jul 15, 2006
GB
Hi all

1st post here, so please excuse how easy it probably is. I'm new to psp8.

I have a logo in .jpg format which has a white background. I want to remove the white or change it to another colour.

The logo is for a web page so the white could be changed to the same colour as my page (Grey).

As the logo is an odd shape it is too diffucult to erase.

Hope you can help
Thanks in advance

Frankles

You can use the Magic Wand tool, to select all the white, and flood fill it to another color.

Click and hold the Selection tool to get the little menu, and select the wand tool. Click on the white area, and it shopuld automatically select everything that is white.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Hi vacunita

Thanks for your reply.

I can change to the tool ok and select the white area - it then shows the "running ants" around the shape.

I then get the colours window in the right hand side and can change the colours - but I don't know how to tell it to change the white to the new colour.

Probably me being thick - but can you help?

Thanks

Cacker

Go down and Select the Floodfill tool. It looks like a little paint bucket. Select the color you want, and click inside the anttrail.

It should change the white to whichever color you chose.

Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

If you want it to more accurately match your website it may be better to delete the selection then save it as a file that supports transparency. I think it's GIF and you need to go into the options and choose a particular type of file. I'm sorry I'm being vague but I don't have PSP at work! You will only need to try a couple of options until you find the correct one anyway.

Learn something new every day *:->*
AyJayEl

GIF supports transparency, but you are going t0 have to export it From the file menu select Export, and then click on "GIF Optimizer" I believe is the option..

If using this method wih the gif optimizer, dont wory about deleting the white. A wizard will guid you through selecting a single color to be trancparent

Yes as Ericthej says you can select one colour to be transparent. Unfortunately in my version of PSP XI it seems to only let you use black. Not a real problem for me as I just set the background to black. It looks as though you should be able to use another colour but won't do anything when I click with the selector. Anyone else found this?

Learn something new every day
Using Crystal 8, Oracle Database

I do not notice a problem here. You can use the eyedropper to select either a color on the image itself or you can click in the square (black) and the color chooser will pop up. After clicking, the black box changes color and your preview adjusts, making the chosen color transparent.
gifopti.gif

Nope, for some reason mine refuses to play ball. Tried it with different pictures to no avail. I might try reinstalling in case it's a 'feature' that's appeared.

Learn something new every day
Using Crystal 8, Oracle Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back