Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove SP2 from 2003 R2 server...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellsanto

MIS
Jul 17, 2007
US
I need to remove service pack 2 from a server 2003 R2 Dell server. This is the first time I am setting up this server and I am installing some data processing software that is only compatible with SP1. Can someone give me some tips on what to do?

Sounds simple I know, but I want to make sure I do this right.

ellsanto

You certainly can remove SP2, BUT BEWARE!!!

If any updates were installed after SP2, you must remove them in reverse order of installation before removing SP2 or you run the risk of changing a server into a paper weight. For a technical explanation, see the following:

Mike, The IT Guy. [flush2]

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran!

This is a brand new server...never even been fired up. So no updates have been installed.

ellsanto

SP2 is the base of R2, there is no such thing as a non SP2 R2.

You will need to build a 2003 server.

SP2 is the base of R2, there is no such thing as a non SP2 R2.

Huh?? you what?? SP2 can be applied to Windows 2003 and 2003 R2 so it can't be a base for R2. In fact I have 2003 R2 that do not have SP2 installed.

Paul
MCSE 2003
MCSA 2003
MCITP Enterprise Administrator

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

Sorry my mistake you are correct, sp1 is the base of r2 i mixed it up.

Personaly id put ur software on SP2 and see if it does or doesnt work before i would remove SP2 just because they say its not "supported".

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

Version 5.2 R2 (Build 3790.srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710 Serivce Pack 2"

No updates have been installed. Definitely has sp2 installed.

ellsanto

If SP2 isn't listed in the Add/Remove programs, you're not getting it off the machine. It was likely slipstreamed in with the install.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

58sniper, that is exactly the case. Only a few updates show on add/remove progs, and sp2 is not one of them. I may be stuck. Thanks for the replies so far. Anyone else have any input?

ellsanto

well...
You may want to try the application on SP2 and see if during the install process, it might see the installed version of .NET Framework and be happy with it. I'm making a wild assumption that .NET Framework is the reason they say not to install SP2. It's worth trying though and you may find that already having SP2 installed might alter the way the program gets installed. If not, then there's no harm done right?

I am going to go ahead with the install. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the repiles.

ellsanto

Installed the app and all went swimmingly. The installation was umm, very interesting. But that had nothing to do the the SP...another story for another thread. In the end, it worked great. Thanks for all the replies.

ellsanto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back