Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove R2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallst32

MIS
Apr 14, 2003
US
I know Microsoft says R2 cannot be removed once installed.
But exactly what exactly is R2? Does it only extend AD or is it more than that?

I have a domain controller that's on R2, and I need to remove it since R2 is not allowed on the network. In the same domain, I have 2 other DCs that are Windows 2003, but no R2 installed. I was thinking, what if I demote the R2 DC; would this effectively remove R2?

It won't stop the server being Windows 2003 R2, by demoting it you would just ensure that you had no domain controllers that are running Windows 2003 R2.

R2 is just 2003 with some 'new' technologies tacked on;

Paul
MCTS: Exchange 2007, Configuration
MCSA:2003
MCSE:2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

It's the R2 disk 2 components that are not allowed, by company policy (they like to keep everything standardized). The server was brought onto the network via an acquisition.

I guess my option is to just reinstall the OS and not include the R2 disk 2.

R2 will not even be noticed. It only enhances 2003 functionality. All of the options on Disk 2 are not installed by Default.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back