Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove port number from URL

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpkiran

Programmer
May 21, 2015
I use url to access application successfully. But I dont want to use port number in the URL.Would like to access application using . I added below entries on httpd.conf file.

ProxyRequests Off
ProxyPass /ERC ProxyPassReverse /ERC
But I am still not able to access Am I doing any thing wrong.?
Please let me know if there is any way to achieve this.

LoadModule entries are enabled and I have restarted apache.
apache version : 2.2.29

You may be looking at this backwards. How is a client browser supposed to know to connect to a non-standard port when browsers default to seeking port 80?

You might find joy with subdomains that run on the same default port 80 but can point to another service entirely:

Is there any other way I can achieve what I am looking for ?

Frames or a redirect

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

I tried different settings of 'Redirect' but didn't work.
Probably I am not using in a right way.
Can you please tell me what exactly the 'Redirect' settings I need use?

Redirection means you need to create a landing page on what I assume you already have running on as port 80, because you are creating a service on an alternate port. From that landing page, you have a few options for redirection.

[ol 1]
[li]displaying a big red flashy button to the user that links to your server on port 8020[/li]
[li]using javascript to redirect to your server on port 8020[/li]
[li]using a htaccess redirect to your server on port 8020[/li]
[/ol]

More info on option 3...

Or

PHP:
<?php 
header("location: [URL unfurl="true"]https://domain.tld:8020/folder");[/URL]
exit();

?>

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

I should have made it more clear.
Apache is listening to port 8020 and below is the setting we have on httpd.conf.
Listen 0.0.0.0:8020
I DONT have any landing page that already running on as port 80.

Do you know if there is any way to hide port number(8020) from url and users to connect application by using We use linux , and initially we are not able to start apache on port 80 because I believe ports below 1024 are privileged and only root can open listening sockets on them.

I believe your perception about linux and port limits is off.

It looks like you are over-engineering a solution to a problem that never existed, if you had the server configured properly to port 80.

Port limiting is a very small part of server security, and why this limit does not make much sense. Even if you use a >1024 port, there are ways to exploit a poorly configured server.

Thank you. I learned something new today..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back