Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove My Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

kochg

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2002
BE
Hi,

I am searching for a way to remove the "My Pictures" from "My Documents". "My Documents" is redirected to a central network share, and is the same for all users (so 1 big repository of documents). I don't want "My pictures" in that central location. In fact, I don't want it at all. How can I remove it?

Thanks in advance!

Kochg,

You can redirect the 'My Pictures' to another location if you like...I don't know if you can delete it though...

UserConfiguration|Windows Settings|Folder Redirection|My Documents|My Pictures

Hope this helps,

Patty [ponytails2]

You can try this
NOTE: I am not responsible for anything this causes
back up the registry first
the keys for these folders are
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
you can try deleting these keys (the pictures, video, music ones) and then delete them out of explorer and see

CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

are your users setup using AD? if so, then in the policy you created for "folder redirection" for the my documents folder, there is an option to choose whether the my pictures folder follows the my documents folder or not.

typically you'd set up folder redirection with the format: \\server\share\%username% so that each user would have their own document folder. i am understanding you to say that you have it set up more like: \\server\share\folder so that they all go to this one folder... if so, then all you have to do is uncheck (i think) the option for the my pictures folder to follow the my documents folder.

DISCLAIMER: i am not at my system now, so this is all off the top of my head... hehehe, don't shoot me... LOL. anybody, please, if i am off please correct me... :)

Thanks you all for the feedback.

I can indeed adjust the policy and say not to follow the my documents folder (users are indeed in AD), but it keeps popping up at the central network location (where the My Documents points to). Shouldn't be so; I will look further into this.

I tried redirecting the My Pictures folder itself back to the location on the c: drive, but the problem is that it still appears on the central network location, but if you click it there, it points to the local disk. Not what I want, I simply do not want the folder on the network drive.

Stupid problem, but causing me gray hairs :)

G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back