Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove menu toolbar from Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve1968

Technical User
Apr 18, 2001
GB
I would like to display word documents to users, but do not want the users to have access to any of the functionality of word, especially File-Open. I want to remove the menu toolbar as this contains all the options for unwanted system file access.

Thank you in advance.

Yes, I have been this way and I am not able to de-select the Menu option. I have administrative rights also.

We use NT with Office 2K, so no policy option.

Drat. You've got me.
I'm in a training class at the moment (obviously listening to the instructor with bated breath) so my experimentation capabilities are a bit limited.
Try this: right click on the menu bar, select customize, see if you can uncheck the Menu Bar option on the Toolbars tab.

Drat also!!!! I can not uncheck the menu option, just that anoying beep.

Well...I'd hoped to find an easier way, but...I hope you can do basic VBA. Check this link out:
A little ways down the page, you are shown how to disable options with code in a macro. I've used this in Excel with much success. Hope it can help you along...

Time to speak to my programming friend then!!!
I'll post my results, stay tuned.

Open Word and go into Visual Basic. Once in Visual Basic mode, right click ThisDocument, view code. Enter the text below

Private Sub ThisDocument()

ActiveDocument.CommandBars.ActiveMenuBar.Enabled = False

End Sub

Save the document and close. Any word document opened thereafter will not display the menu bar.

Hi
This is basically the same code

Code:
CommandBars("menu bar").Enabled = False

You should note however that removing the menu bar will not stop users using CTRL+O to open files etc. Also, the open button will still be available. These options can be disabled using the above code and changing the bame of the commandbar.

To disable shortcut options, record macros with nothing in them and assign the relevant shortcut key when doing so.

The last line of your last post is VERY true! I'd recommend caution unless you really don't want the menu bar visible for any word files.

;-) If a man says something and there are no women there to hear him, is he still wrong? [ponder]

OK. Fine, but now I need to disable the creation of hyperlinks, as this also opens up access to files when you right click on a blank word page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back