Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove Local Administrator from Administrators Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

intel233

MIS
Feb 24, 2007
US
I need to remove the local Administrator account along with the Domain Admin account. I am able to use a GPO and remove the Domain Admin account and add in only the accounts I want but I can't get rid of the local Administrator account. I have the Action for the GPO is Update. Delete all members and Delete all member groups are both checked.

I suppose you want to remove local Administrator from workstation local administrators group. You can't. Instead you can disable local Administrator account.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Can that be done via that group policy I mentioned? I did not recall seeing anything about disabling, or would I need a separate policy?

Under Computer configuration -> Policies -> Windows settings -> Security settings -> Local policies -> Security options
Accounts: Administrator account status

Please read carefully the explanations given, before enabling this policy. If there will be no other users or groups in local administrators group, you will loose administrative access to computer even in Safe mode!

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back