Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove first 3 positions in field 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2002
US
I have a Crystal XI Report that uses a stored procedure to create a list of late shipments. The data is stored in MS SQL and the field is a character field. When I look at the field in my report, crystal calls it a string. What I need to do is remove the number, space and dash from the string field, but I cannot get TrimLeft, Trim, or Truncate to work.

The data looks like:
0 -Team Scheduling
2 -Inventory Counts
4 -Completed, External Delay
15-Non Plant Other

I need to return only:
Team Scheduling
Inventory Counts
Completed, External Delay
Non Plant Other

I have been working on this and searching for help for 3 hours without any luck and the report is due Wednesday by noon. I really hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks,
GJeffcoat

Try:

Mid ({table.fieldname} ,InstrRev ({table.fieldname},"-") + 1 )

Good luck.

A little tweak:

Mid({table.fieldname} ,Instr({table.fieldname},"-")+1)

-LB

I want to thank both of you, elsenorjose and lbass, for your help. The formula worked perfectly and I have my report ready for distribution. I really appreciate your help and the switfness of your reply. You really helped me out of a jam. I was wondering if I could impose on you again? I sort of understand Trim and Truncate, but I am not familiar with Mid. If you have the time, would one of you explain how this function works? I would really appreciate it!

Gratefully yours,
Gjeffcoat

Here is another way to do it, not necessarily any better than the ones above, just another way:

split({table.field},"-")[2]

~Brian

The MID() formula works on the following basis:

Mid(string,startpoint,length)

For example:

Mid({table.string},3,6)

Would return the following output from the following intput

Input: 'HISDMSDJSDA'
Output: 'SDMSDJ'

The length value is optional - So you could just use the start position:

mid({table.string},4)

Input: '4 -Completed, External Delay'
Output: 'Completed, External Delay'

Input: '15-Non Plant Other'
Output: 'Non Plant Other'

Have a try with a sample string by creating a formula and using:

mid('ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWYZ123),x,z)

Change the x and z to different values to see how it is affected.

'J

Thanks CR85user, I appreciate your explanation. I tried it out and it works! It was fun testing, it helped me see what you were talking about.

Gjeffcoat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back