Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove fileset update 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlennComiskey

Technical User
Jul 30, 2008
GB
As a newbie to AIX, I'm proberly asking a very basic question but please bare with me.

I have just updated the Java runtime on a server from 6.0.0.1 to 6.0.0.175, which is comfirmed by lslpp -l as being COMMITTED, to correct a fault with an application. I would, however, like to rollback the install to confirm that the application fault reappears and thereby satisfying myself that it is a version issue. Is there an easy way to do this? I have a pre-installation backup, but don't won't to go to the trouble of doing a system restore.

TIA.

So we look at the man page to understand your options...

(AIX level is unspecified so here we use the latest documentation)

"When a base level (fileset) is installed on the system, it is automatically committed. You can remove a fileset regardless of the state (such as committed, broken, committed with applied updates, and committed with committed updates)."

But your base level is not in question, you need to know about your update fileset:

"When updates are committed with the -c flag, the user is making a commitment to that version of the software product. The saved files from all previous versions of the software product are removed from the system, making it impossible to return to a previous version of the software product. Software can be committed at the time of installation by using the -ac flags. "

So it looks like you have a couple of options, remove and reinstall java at the original level, or restore the system.

You need to take care with the COMMIT option when installing updates.

DukeSSD,

Thanks for the post.

Unfortunately I have no prior experience of AIX, having previously work exclusively on Solaris, and do not as yet understand the concept or implication of committed or non-committed filesets. Hence why when I read the man page it doesn't make any sense to me at the moment. I know this is something I need to readup on, but it was a case of not having the time and needed to rollback to continue my work.

Under Solaris it is possible to install a patch and subsequently remove it, if necessary, to revert to an earlier version.

Thanks again.

In AIX this is also possible:

You have the choice to APPLY a fix first (saving the installed version somewhere safe), then after you are satisfied you can COMMIT the fix, removing the saved version; or REJECT the fix, replacing it with the previously installed version.

If on installing a fix with COMMIT=Yes (and unfortunately COMMIT is standard set to Yes on SMIT install screens), you will have no possibility to REJECT.

The only possibility now is to reinstall the previous version. Then you have to specify "OVERWRITE same or newer versions?" = yes on the SMIT screens.

HTH,

p5wizard

p5wizard,

Thanks for the info, and enlightenment, much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back