Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remove extra line breaks Outlook 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjatcal

IS-IT--Management
Aug 27, 2001
US
Hi,

I am sending an email with text and links, using Outlook 2002. Just to make sure the links were coming out correctly, I sent some test messages to myself. Turns out they aren't!

The last few letters of the link is getting cut off and moved to the second line, which means that the link doesnt work as is.

I have uncleared the "remove extra line breaks in plain text messages" box so that it accepts the hard returns. But it is still cutting the last few letters of the link off. So I shut Outlook down and started it up again (who knows!), but that didnt do it either.

I changed the plain text options of wrapping text from 76 characters to 100 characters, but that didn't do it either (in fact, it wrapped even more tightly I think).

What's going on? I want to be able to send the email with the looong links working fine. I think the hard returns should do it, but they are not.

Thoughts?

There are a couple of factors that are related to this situation - primarily the sending format. What is your sending format & encoding? I don't have Outlook 2002 at the moment, but look for somthing like 'mail format' & 'international options'

Is there any chance that you can post one of the links here for further examination?

The encoding is Western European (ISO). The Auto-Select encoding for outgoing messages is checked. This is under the international settings.

I believe the sending format is plain text, if plain text means sending format. If not, under the Internet Format option, the plain text option box for "encode attachments in UUENCODE format when sending a plain text message" is not checked off.

If that is not what you mean, where can I find this?

Thanks for your help.

The other issue is that in mails I am receiving after removing the check box for "remove extra line breaks in plain text messages", it still says: "This message has extra line breaks. To remove, click here."

Why is unchecking the box to remove extra line breaks not working?

I have tried to stay away from HTML and rich text format. It has a lot of problems that come with that, esp with attachments.

I mean really all I need to be able to do is to keep the entire hyperlink together even when it wraps to the next line. I see it in email newsletters all the time.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back