Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove duplicate record in a table

Status
Not open for further replies.

aauxta

Programmer
Feb 9, 2001
US
I think this should be simple but it still got me so I am hoping someone could help me out here:

I have a table with first_name and last_name and some of the first_name and last_name has duplicate records in that table. I am trying to remove the additional ones to it and I was thinking to try on

SELECT * FROM tblMember a
WHERE EXIST
(SELECT * FROM tblMember b
WHERE a.first_name=b.first_name and a.last_name=b.last_name)

to get the addional records back but have no luck, any idea? Thanks in advance

This is a query for selecting duplicates.
select first_name, last_name, count(*) from tblMember
group by first_name, last_name havint count(*) > 1
You you have an other record to distinct theese duplicates, it is not a problem to delete them. John Fill

ivfmd@mail.md

Thanks, and now that I run into another problem with DELETE. We can locate the names for the duplicate entries but what's the best way to remove the extra ones? Do I need to write a batch file in order to get all these done or is there a better way to do it? Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
Aauxta

If you are using Oracle, check out a thread that I started and got wonderful answers from Karluk and Carp:

thread186-62406

A little different from your case, but with what is there, I am sure you can resolve your problem. Terry M. Hoey
th3856@txmail.sbc.com
While I don't mind e-mail messages, please post all questions in these forums for the benefit of all members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back