Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove domain from AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adders56

Technical User
Jul 27, 2004
GB
Hi,
I needed to remove 2 un-needed domains from AD. Each contained a DC. Due to historical reasons I was not able to remove the servers cleanly, they had been trashed a long time ago. Now we have no need for the old domains either, and is causing grief trying to set up trusts..
Anyhow I followed:

and have been able to remove the NTDS Settings object, and then was able to remove the servers, but the domains still exist. I tried using NTDSUTIL to remove the domain, and it errored along the lines of: unable to remove selected domain due to naming context.

I can connect to the old domain via ADSIEdit, but no children are shown, and I cannot delete the root as it errors with <error 10> I can find little reference to this issue anywhere....

Please help me get shot of non existing domains,
Thanks

Just to follow up - after a reboot the ntdsutil then allowed me to remove all traces of the domain :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back