Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remove cmos and no power

Status
Not open for further replies.

xhaya

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2003
TW
does anyone know how i can get my pc to power on.
i powered off the pc previously to check whether my CMOS batt was flat,
when i put that same batt back, the pc refuse to power on at all.
i've searched the forum but cant seem to find a similar problem... advice?

After the onboard battery has been removed all custom bios settings are lost, so you need enter the bios, setup, and save on exit.
If you still have no joy try clearing the cmos again (usually a simple 3 pin header and jumper that needs to be moved across from one pair of pins to the other) centre pin plus right/ centre pin plus left (refer to manual)
It could be that by going in the case you have disturbed something, you may need to reseat memory, graphics card and power plugs (this simple task can often cure a non boot problem) Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

thanks for the advice
will def give it a try
might have knocked something else off its seat

i actually tried re-plugging the ethernet card (which was blocking the CMOS Batt). but the pc did not respond at all when i press the power button.

Is this one of the common battery the size and shape of a quarter? If so, did you put it in upside down?

well i replugged everything
checked i put back the battery correctly
checked the jumper was where it should be
the PS switch was on
even confirmed the switch was working with a multimeter

still no power up....
more ideas?
or the mainboard has already been fried somehow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back