Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove all data beyond recover

Status
Not open for further replies.

samworld

MIS
Nov 2, 2003
MY
Hi Solaris expert..

At the moment our company have 3 sun solaris (SPARC). 2 of the server we going to trade in with our new IBM server. Due to that we need to wipe of all the data (Oracle) beyond recovery before we send to our vendor. Can anyone have any idea to remove all the server data beyond recovery.

As i know there are a few command like "newfs" or "rm -fr" tha we can use to remove all filesystem. Are there any other method we can use to do so. Please advise..

thank you

Sincere
Sam

Just use the format command and format the disk.

If you don't have to return the disks the best option is to actually take a hammer to the disks, one or two dents and then it will take a national goverment to get the data off.

Otherwise not only format but I would reinstall the entire system to a default solaris install and copy the filesystem onto your other drives, as that will partially overwrite and hopefully leave even less of your data around.

You could also try using bonnie++ (normally a hdd testing suite) and run that specifying a filesize the size of the disks. It will then hammer the area.

There are a few ideas :)

Matthew

Family motto: Curvus, non infractus.
The Universe: God's novelty screensaver?

Hi ,
Get a big electro magnet simple but effective, otherwise check the fine print of the agreement if it states that you need to send it with the drives. Only format C is not sufficient.

this topic was discussed some month ago, format/newfs/zero-out/one-out is not 100% save (in the meaning of somebody can use the data eg. to move 1 Billion USD to his account)

realy save is to write random 1 and 0 to this disk (if it still works properly) more than one time, what you need is a /dev/random

Some of the Sun Customers (banks) in Europe have a special deal: all failed disks may stay at the Cu's site after failure; Customers will shred the disks with a mecanical device to small splinters...

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back