Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove _underscore_ from domain name

Status
Not open for further replies.

OWize1

MIS
Apr 24, 2002
CA
I understand using an underscore in your domain name is a no-no, but what are the ramifications if I change it? It is the only server on the network at the moment. Will I have to build my AD again? Will I loose all my users and any security settings? Does this affect any application or services? (for example: 'iusr_Server_Name' becomes 'iusr_ServerName')

Mr. Precautious

You might try setting up a new server with the correct Domain name and use the ADMT tool to migrate your users and security over to the new one. Then demote the old one and join it to the new Domain. Otherwise you will lose settings to rename the Domain...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Thanks for the suggestion, but I do not have that luxury. It is only a small office with one server and 12 workstations.

I did find a good article on the TechRepublic web site...
Aug 1, 2002: Change The Name Of Your Domain With Minimal Complications"
It details all the precautions you should plan for. Basically, it's a major undertaking :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back