Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removal of ZENworks for Desktops3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekieVB

MIS
Apr 25, 2002
US
I have read Novell's TID 10060349 about Uninstalling Zenworks and it seems straight forward.

However, how does the client machines react as far as not having w/s registrations any longer or policies. Also, we have setup the NW Users to be in the local Admin group of the w/s giving the nwusers admin rights to the local machine. Anyone have any problems in the area after removing Zen on the servers.

Has anyone seen any ill effects on the NDS tree once Zen has been removed?!

Just trying to get a heads up on any problems that someone might have had after the removal of Zen.

Thanks in Advance

My first question has to be, "Why are you removing ZenWorks?!!!" You don't have to answer that one!

Basically, in removing ZenWorks, the only impact to the tree will be in terms of the schema, which has been extended to permit the ZenWorks components. My advise to you, if you are determined to remove this highly useful and beneficial management product, to simply stop the zenworks services from running, dis-associate the policies from running in the various containers and leave it at that. This way, you will not cause any unwanted problems. The workstation registrations can be cleaned out (as the import service will no longer be running). On the client side, you would need to alter the setup to prevent the Zenworks services on the client side from running.

Zen Ad maora ultra vitam

Thanks ZEN for the response.

Reason for removal is a licensing issue with parent company. They do not want to renew the license, so off it comes.

I have not used it that much, except for remote control of some of the satellite office pc's. I can see that it could be pretty useful, but we have several Citrix farms and most of our applications reside on them.

Could you please clarify a little on what I must do on the client side to prevent ZEN services from running?

Sure. Basically, when Client 32 is installed, the zenworks features need to be selected. Once they are, the various components are installed and become part of the users Operatational OS. Services such as ntsvrldr etc. are run. The options you have are to manually disable these services or, much easier to do, to re-install (or upgrade) the client and select only the services that you require.

Pity that there is a licensing issue as with Zenworks PC Support staff never have to leave their desks again unless there is a hardware failure.

If you need any more clarification, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Zen Ad maora ultra vitam

Zen,

What will happen if I don't reinstall the clients and remove ZEN from the NW servers? Will the users have problems logging in or what other type of problems?!

Thanks

Errors will come up on the client side machines and there will be a delay in startup (whilst services are sought, notably the zenwsimport service - ordinarily hosted on the root zenworks server). Other than that, should be okay so long as no local nalwin32 exists in the startup folder.

Shame to lose such a powerful management tool though.

Zen Ad maora ultra vitam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back