Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removal of huntbar/btiein spyware 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

barnegattech

Technical User
Jun 19, 2004
US
There is a piece of spyware called huntbar which shows up in the registry as a key btiein.
is there a solution out there for this one?
I've tried many and none work.

Ad-Aware and Spybots S&D did not remove huntbar?

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

already tried it. it detects it but will not remove it.

forgive me if it sounds stupid but did you choose Quarantine/Delete in actions after the software found that it had detected spyware on yur pc ?

-
mobajwa

I seem to remember running into this one and having to use regedt32 to take back permissions to the registry key so that it could be deleted.

Some files for this may be in the system restore area so you may need to disable system restore to wipe out the restore points. You can then re-enable system restore once it is clean.

how does one take back permissions to the registry key. I already did turn of system restore.

if i remember this particular one may have a trojan that brings the software back even if manually removed. run a good online virus scanner to remove the trojan, then reboot in safe mode and re-run the adware scanners, which should be able to remove the locked files. the reg keys wouldnt matter if the files and folders are removed.

Thank you wcburton. Resetting the permissions was the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back