Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removable Storage does not detect my Tape Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shay2501

MIS
Jun 25, 2003
US
I have a Quantum SDLT tape drive and superloader. The device is recognized automatically in Device Manager (I removed it and scanned for hardware changes, it found it right away). It also is used successfully with my ARCServe backup software.

However, I need to restore a tape that was created with NTBackup and the tape drive doesn't show up in Removable Storage. I reboot the server twice last night hoping to get Windows to recognize it but no luck.

How can I get my Tape Drive to show up in Removable Storage?

Thanks,

Shannon

I have seen this before

Right click on my computer and click manage

Go down to Storage - Removeable storage
Find the media pools its in and mount it

Do you mean you want to be able to view it in windows explorer ? that normally depends on what drivers you use

Neither the tape drive or the media is in any media pools, that is the problem that I am having. All the media pools are empty. I did verify that the tape drive was on the Hardware Compatibitlity list as well.

hmm,

When your server autodetected and installed the hardware, did it use windows own dlt drivers ?

I had exactly the same thing with Veritas and a DLT - Veritas installed its own drivers and it removed the ability to use it with NT backup. I removed the hardware through device manager and forced it to use the drivers supplied by the DLT manufacturer, after I did this it would work with NT backup and Veritas.

Looks like Arcserve may have locked the device. You could try this -

On the server where the tape device is attached, stop the tape engine, run regedit, and navigate to the following key :-
HKLM / SOFTWARE / COMPUTERASSOCIATES / ARCSERVEIT / BASE / TAPEENGINE and add a key called CONFIG. In the CONFIG key, add a REG_DWORD variable of EnableSharedDevices with a value of 1

Modify the / ARCSERVEIT value as required if you are using brightstor arcserve (CHEETAH).

You may then need to reboot.

wn i gro up i wna b a typo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back