Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remoting into Multiple servers with RDC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2005
US
Hi,

I hope I can explain this so that someone can help me. Its not a big deal but will simplify things a little.

I have about 10 windows 2003 servers at my job and at times my director want me to remote into them to do various jobs.

The other day another admin ask me if I could make my active desktop show when I am remoting into the different servers. Now to tell you the truth I never gave it any thought but said atleast I will know which server I am in by the background picture.

As of now we have been using different color backgrounds. When I used a picture for the background it works when I am locally on the machine, but when I remote into the machine I still get a blank background.

I have the theme checked in the Remote desktop connection and still get the blank background.

Is there a way of making the active desktop come through when remoting into the other servers.

Thanks,
Malik

Malik
where your problems are our solutions!!

I would recomend just changing the desktop color, rather than trying to use Active Desktop. This would reduce the bandwidth requirements.

There is also another setting in the 'Experience' tab for allowing the desktop background, which would just be the standard BMP/JPEG wallpaper. Make an image (even in paint.exe) that has the server name and make it the background.

Final suggestion: The window has the name of the server in the title bar, even when in full screen mode you can put your mouse at the top of the screen to get the title. If you are connecting directly via IP, rather than domain name, you can create dns entries that correspond to your servers.

RDC allows you to turn off the desktop wallpaper to improve performance, so from what you've described I suspect this is the problem.

To confirm this, open your RDC connection and click the Options tab. This will give you additional settings tabs, go to the 'Experience' tab and check the 'Desktop Background' option. The next time you connect you should see the wallpaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back