Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remotely accessing a win98 registry from XP pro across a LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usalabs1

Technical User
Jun 29, 2003
US
I have 2 computers networked at home, 1 is the host running win xp pro and the other is running win98, the 98 machine has limited acces to the xp machine, but can still dial the internet using ics, I would like to be able to access the win98 registry from the xp machine, because my stepson keeps accessing objectionable websites and the web pages aften install dialers, that I can erase from the registry of the 98 machine.

From your XP machine, go to regedit, then click on the registry menu (next to edit menu on top) select "registry" and there should be a "connect network registry" option. If you know the computer name of the 98, type it in in the "Computer name" input box. If you don't know, then click on browse. From there, all you need to do is look for the Win Me pc to connect to.

I Hate Spammers and Flammers!!!

13reacher....I tried that and an error is displayed saying 'An object [computer] with the following name could not be found "xxxx". Check the selected object types and location for accuracy and ensure that you have typed the object name correctly, or remove this object from the selection' but I can access the 98 computer with the network places icon, and also the 'Search for computers' does find the computer name on the network

Which one did you try?? Typing the computer name manually, or by going to the browse button??

3reacher........ I have tried both, manually shows the error, browse does not display the computer name, only shows the name of the host machine.

Are these computers on the same Workgroup name??

3reacher.............all computers are on the HOME workgroup name, I can access the shared folders on all computers on the network, the other computers can access the shared resources on the host computer, but I can not access the win98 registry remotely from the host.

I have a similar problem and cannot access to the remote registry.

I don't think you can have remote access to a win9x/ME registry from XP (2k or NT would work). What about a remote control feature (eg, vnc -

Do you have the Remote Registry option installed on your 9x/ME clients? I dont think its available on the O/S CD, but I think its on the Resouce Kit CD.

wolluf.....I have a program called remote admin, I have installed it as a service on the 98 machine and can access files and folders, I could directly control the 98 machine and running regedit on the 98 machine then export the registry to the host, make changes then import it back to the 98 machine, would that work?

I would think so (I use remote admin too - nice app) - presume you'll just export/import the branch you want to change - not the whole registry? Or you could just edit it on the 98 machine in the remote opntrol window?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back