Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote X sessions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsevens

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2000
US
I think I'm close but not close enough to get it to work... I am trying to launch an app on my computer (running Linux of course) from another machine on the network. I connect to that machine with telnet and type the command name (xeyes for testing) and I get the following three lines:
Code:
Xlib: connection to "joe:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
Error: Can't open display: joe:0
My machine name is "joe" and the other machine's hosts file has an entry for my machine. I know that the problem is that one of the machines is not authorizing the other, but I am stuck here. Is there a file somewhere where I can add the machine name / IP so that it permits the other to connect? And which machine? (the other machine name is Nelson) I have root access on both machines.

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!

-Joe

You have to set your display environment variable so that your process knows what display to use. Wushutwist

Try entering

xhost +

before running your app.

CaKiwi

Thanks, CaKiwi! This was exactly what I didn't know about that fixed the problem right away! I had to show off the power of Linux, and this type of thing will be sure to impress...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back