Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Web Management of Netscreen 5 in Transparent Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstewe2e

MIS
Mar 30, 2003
US
Hi All,

I am trying to manage my Netscreen 5 remotely through the Web Interface and telnet. It sits in front of a Linksys Ethernet Router that gets its IP address by establishing a PPOE session with my ISP provider through the netscreen. The Netscreen 5 is running in transparent mode with version 2.6r1 of ScrenOS. I have been able to manage the Netscreen from my computers behind the Linksys which sit on a 10.X.X.X network successfully. A DSL modem sits in front of the netscreen. It is a dumb device that is unmanageable. The sysip of the Netscreen is set to a 10.X.X.X number. Not sure how I can get to it remotely when I'm at another location but I need this capability because of projects I’m working on. As an aside, I do use the dynamic DNS service to keep up with the changing IP address I get when the PPOE periodically goes down and comes up with a new address. Any assitance or insight into how to get to the device remotely via the web and telnet in its current config would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Not all that relavent to your question but...
Do you REQUIRE the linksys in this environment?

generally speaking everything the linksys does for you can be done by the netscreen 5.

it would be better to have a switch or hub behind the netscreen to give access ports for the LAN then another routing device that is also a poorman's firewall

-----------------------------------------------
now to your question.. with the netscreen public IP changing periodically and I assume the dynamic DNS is updating your dns server records for this device so that when you browse to ns5.mydomain.com the IP has been updated and your actually browsing to the netscreen (which is pretty cool, and I eventually want to configure this up just to do it one day) assuming all that connecivity is working, all thats left that could stop you is the management IP setting, which I think if you set it for 0.0.0.0

here is a note in the help guide
>Note: An asterisk next to Manage IP indicates that you >didn’t specify an address for the manage IP, and thus it >defaults to the interface IP address.(untrusted interface)

All that should allow you to browse directly to the URL and manage your box.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back