Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote wake up

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilihp

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
GB
I want to wake up my PC from STANDBY or HIBERNATE when the telephone rings. There is a unused LAN port, a dialup modem and I have a wireless internet connection.
Any ideas for a simple system however crude?

My PC has a modern mobo with XPpro SP2 and many wake-up options in the Bios.

Many thanks
Philip

The easiest route is probably with the use of an external modem that connects to the serial port, if your mobo supports it.

pilihp,

If your modem came with a cd or if you have the utility cd for your mobo then you might want to have a look there first. Most retail modems came with a cd that had phone center software on it that would do exactly that as well as caller id, voice mail ect.

I haven't bought a dial-up modem for several years so I don't know if that software comes bundled anymore. The software would run in the background and wake on modem ring.

felixc and mainegeek; many thanks. I have managed to get a pci modem to wake up the machine from standby by putting the appropriate tick in the modem properties and also enabling the external modem wake up setting in the bios. Confusingly enough, a wake up is initiated whatever bios and modem settings are set but only if left in standby for LESS than 2hours. Any longer and the machine will never wake up when the phone rings. With the new settings, the machine wakes up from standby however long it is left - though if one tries to wake from HIBERNATE - it won't unless the hibernation was for less than 2 hours as before. All extremly confusing!
Philip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back