Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote vs VPN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossmank

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
US
I have a remote desktop connection and a VPN to the same computer at work. When I want to run a program, The remote connection is very much faster then the VPN. I have the drive that the program is on mapped (Z:/) and I can connect ok, but the VPN is slow and the program locks up a lot. When I am using remote desktopping the program runs much faster and does not lock up. The problem is I can not print to my local printer (port usb0004)and I kick anybody else off that is on the remote computer. Is there any settings I can do to speed up the VPN and keep it from locking up???

Thanks for any help in advance

When you use a remote client, you are passing only screen updates across your VPN. When you run an application, all of the data that application needs passes across the VPN in both directions. Evidently, the app you are using requires more bandwidth than you have available.

Crossmank,

There is allways going to be an overhead when connecting using a VPN due to the encryption and packet authentication etc.

However, I would suggest trying to increase (if possible) the MTU size in case you are getting a lot of packet fragmentation.

Cheers,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back