Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote VPN Phones restart randomely

Status
Not open for further replies.

nixnewbie

IS-IT--Management
Dec 17, 2013
US
We have a few remote workers that use 9608 phones. They are VPN'd to a Juniper SSG20. We are on IPO 8.1. They are having issue with random reboots on the phones. It even happens in the middle of calls. Is anyone familiar with this type of problem? It is happening way too frequently.

Thanks,
Stephen

normally when I this it is a vpn appliance issue. some work better then others.

ACSS SME
ACSS a bunch of CM
CCNA Voice

I've got several phones on an SSG. I've not had this issue except when there's internet bandwidth saturation (at either end).

You could also try changing the lifetimes from the default of 28800 on P1 and 3600 on the P2 proposals. This will make it so the rekey interval is farther out.

New England Communications

JayNEC, what would you recommend adjusting them too?

Stephen

You could start by doubling them (in particular the p2), it may reduce the frequency that the phones are restarting.

It used to be more of an issue with the 4600 sets, as they didn't have much CPU horsepower and if you were on the phone and a rekey interval came up the calculations were too much and it would reboot or lock up.

In theory this could be an issue if you have some really high encryption enabled in the policies. The higher the encryption the more math is required.

New England Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back