Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote VPN - Internet Connection Sharing for IP Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aknip

MIS
Apr 12, 2005
US
On a remote PC - I’m trying to get a SIP IP phone (connected via a crossover cable to the second NIC) to communicate with a media gateway server over a shared VPN connection. I’m able to place a call from the IP phone and make phones ring, but I can’t hear anything on the IP phone and I cannot call the IP phone.

I’m having a hard time finding a solution to this problem. I would think this should be a common scenario with all the remote VPN users out there. A softphone works find on the PC, it’s when I go through in the ICS that I have the problem.

Thanks for any help!

Sounds like a routing issue to me. Typically, when you have a one sided conversation like this it is because the remote phone can route to the media gateway but the media gateway cannot respond or send voice back in your direction due to either a missing or misconfigured route.

John C.

Actually, I figured it out. It was a problem with the UDP traffic getting back to the IP phone. I ended up forwarding UDP ports 5004-5007, 5060, 10,000, 123, 510, and 511 to the IP of the phone. Hope this helps someone else!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back