Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote VPN access

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashu6

ISP
Sep 6, 2008
US
I have a switch with devices and we are planning to get a VPN supported router also for a remote vpn access.

Can someone tell me how can this be done?. i have switch connected to devices and a computer which manages all the devices. We want to have the access to devices connected to switch remotely.

I think remote access to software will require VPN connectivity back to LAN. But I am not sure how do I implement this. Can someone suggest a way to proceed?.

Get a Cisco router with the crypto (k9) IPSEC image on it at the edge and set it up as a VPN server.

Is the switch a L3 switch?

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

We are planning to get a Switch and a router, small business.
So what I understand is router is going to be the one which would have all the connections terminated on. right?.

Yes. If this is adsl, an 837 would be ideal.

/

Building dependency tree

Do we need a VPN client software?. And also, do we have to use our public address anywhere?. How would we access remotely?. I am just not sure about Address translation. Public to Private(LAN), but how would I get the public address?.

You can specify a URL and register your dynamic IP with dyndns.org. It is how I do it---works great.

You will need Cisco VPN client.

/

Building dependency tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back