Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote views vs. SPT vs. CursorAdapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

simco

Programmer
May 25, 2001
CA
I am interested in any opinions you have regarding these 3 methods of retrieving data. Especially the new CursorAdapter from Visual FoxPro 8.0.

Thanks a lot!
:)

Nobody?
Any tips will be appreciated!

Thanks again!

CursorAdapter allows much more flexibility. You can only call stored procedures using SPT and CA, not RVs. CA is the only method of the three that supports OLE DB, which will be faster and consume fewer resources than ODBC.

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP, Author, CrysDev: A Developer's Guide to Integrating Crystal Reports"

Simco,

I agree broadly with Craig.

RVs are good for a quick-and-dirty conversion of a VFP app to client/server. Use them as a data source for a form or report.

SQL Pass-Through is my preferred method. It lets you do just about anything that can be done on the server, including running stored procedures, creating databases and tables, setting up user accounts, and so on (always subject to permissions, of course).

CursorAdapters are good in cases where you might want to switch to some other data source in future, such as XML. I haven't had much experience with them yet, but I'm sure I will use them more and more in future.

My advice would be to study all three methods, and use whichever one is appropriate in a given case. You might well end up using all three, which is fine.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

I have to disagree here. ODBC, the basis for SPT and RVs is on the way out, being replaced by OLE DB. Don't get stuck in a situation where MS suddenly says they will no longer update the SQL Server ODBC driver and you have to make changes to your application on short notice.

Also, as I said earlier, OLE DB provides better performance over ODBC and uses fewer resources.

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP, Author, CrysDev: A Developer's Guide to Integrating Crystal Reports"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back