Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Users & Guest Mailboxes? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawks

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2002
US
Can you build a mailbox without using a user lincense? They have some people that travel and are never in the office but they want to keep a mailbox on the system.

Since the release of software level 4.0, you can program a "Virtual Extension" and send the incoming call to the mailbox of that virtual extension WITHOUT using or needing a User License to do so. In addition, you can set up the "Follow Me" to another phone to ring or an external number such as a cell phone. This works as I have tested this in my lab.

***DISCLAIMER***- The ability to do this WITHOUT using a User License is ONLY on Rls. 4.0***, which is available at no charge IF your system is currently under an Assurance Support Plan.

I hope this helps!

Stocking Distributor for E-Metrotel

Thanks ucxnortel I just tried that and noticed it didn't take away a user like my 3.0 did.

Can I prerecord a mailbox greeting then upload it to the mailboxes I want to use that greeting. They have a professional greeting that they want use for these mailboxes for the remote users.

Sure you can. Upload the greeting(s) using the System Recordings page, then go to the Extension configuration page and select the system recording(s) as the Busy Message or Unavailable Message (close to the bottom of the page in the Voicemail section).

I totally missed that I will go there and make that change thanks. I did find a work around though. What I did was build an Announcement and then pointed that to the mailbox I wanted.

Ok one last question on this I hope. Can we make the Guest mailbox light someones message light that is on site?

Yes. In order to use this you have to have a key on the 1140 programmed to access the mailbox and recognize the hints. For the key programming you need to put the mailbox access *98 and the mailbox number. As an example to monitor my extension on another phone I would use *98<mailbox number> on a key on the phone. Now when someone leaves a voice mail in the mailbox for my mailbox the blue lamp will light and you will see an envelope for the key icon. Press the key and it will ask for the password for mailbox <mailbox number>.

This will work on 11xx sets. The other sets don't have this capability. However, you could use Messaging Notification using the e-mail address of the user to send the attachments (voice mail messages) to their e-mail if they don't have 11xx series sets.

Stocking Distributor for E-Metrotel

If you have an 1100 series Nortel IP phone and if you program a BLF for the guest mailbox on that phone, the blue light would indicate when there are messages in the mailbox.

UCx uses the red light on 1100 series phones as an indicator for the extension's mailbox and the blue light as an indicator for other mailbox(es) for that the phone has BLF button(s).

This will also work on 1230 sets, though you don't get the big light on. There is a blinking envelope icon next to the feature button you program ... extremely helpful when your main phone is in another building! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back