Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote user Outlook/Exchange5.5 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Dec 12, 2002
GB
Hi, I need to find a solution for our remote users to get there emails on their laptops, our IT director wants these users to be able to work offline in Outlook 2k, then dial-up and "sync" their emails from our Exchange 5.5 server, however he wants them only to be able to send and receive attachments for 5mb and under, but when they bring their laptops into the head office the restrictions are different and use our company limit of 50mb. I just don't think this is all possible!

Hope you can advise...

Any

You are right. There is no way for exchange to know that a user is accessing their mail through a dial-up connection. This is why you don't have separate attachment size limitations! Of course, why anyone would want to send a 5MB (or larger) attachment over a dial-up connection is beyond me.

Your best solution for mobile users may be to install an OWA server. Granted, it doesn't have all the functionality of Outlook, all they need is a connection to the internet. They're still not going to want to send a 5MB file, but they won't have to deal with waiting for their mailboxes to sync up every time they connect and disconnect.

Bob

Already have one running, but the IT boss also want's us to map drives to our network...

VPN.

If you are going to be mapping drives, transfering mail and spending at least 10 minutes a time sending 5mb attachments, this would probably be a cheaper option.

As fuego007 quite rightly said, you cant have differing size limitations that reflect how you connect. But a VPN would give the user the same limits as if he/she/cat/dog where on the network.

However, the user would still be limited to the connection speed they have at their remote location. EG 56k modem.

Sometimes in life there are no simple answers, just difficult compromises.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back